BSO Hurricane Guide
Staying safe during the hurricane:
- Stay away from windows and doors. Identify a “safe room” in your home where you can stay during the hurricane. Choose a room with no doors or windows, like a closet. Bring a mattress into the room and use it for additional protection against falling debris.
- Expect to lose power. Make sure you have flashlights within reach in your safe room.
- Never venture outside during the storm. Flying debris may cause serious injury or death.
- Be aware of the hurricane's “eye” passing overhead. A brief period of calm will be followed by winds blowing in the opposite direction and damage may be greater.
- Stay away from rising water. Fallen power lines may still be "hot" and electrocution can occur. Water may also contain raw sewage.
- BSO Hurricane Guide Main Page
- Be aware of approaching storms
- Hurricane supplies
- Installing hurricane shutters
- As the storm approaches
- Should you evacuate?
- Pet and livestock owners - special preparations
- After the storm has safely passed
- Generator safety
- Price gouging
- Snapshot Damage Assessment Program
- More information
- List of Broward County hurricane shelters
Other helpful information from Broward County:
- To track the storm
- Evacuation and Shelter Information
- A - Z Hurricane Guide
- Hurricane Kit and Shopping Guide
For a complete list of Broward County services, please click here to view The Official Broward County Hurricane Preparedness Guide.
Translate This Page: