BSO Hurricane Guide
As the storm approaches:
- Install your hurricane shutters or plywood. Forget about using masking tape or duct tape on windows; it does not prevent windows from breaking and it can be difficult to remove after the storm.
- Bring inside any lawn furniture, BBQ grills, trash cans, hanging plants, etc. that may be picked up by the wind. These objects become deadly missiles in a hurricane.
- Fill you cars' gas tanks and withdraw enough money from your bank to last for several days. Gas pumps and ATM's will not work if electricity is out.
- Make sure prescription medications are available for several weeks. And don't forget about the special needs of infants, the elderly, the disabled and pets.
- Gather your important papers, including insurance policies, and place them in plastic bags or other waterproof material and keep them with you during the storm.
- Wedge sliding glass doors to prevent them from being blown off tracks.
- Check for loose rain gutters and down spouts.
- Turn up refrigerators and freezers to maximum cold.
- Disinfect a bathtub in your home and fill it with water to use for washing dishes and flushing toilets.
- Evacuate if you are required to do so or if you do not wish to remain in your home during the storm; click here for a list of Broward County hurricane shelters. Remember that pets are premitted only in certain shelters, and you must pre-register to access that shelter. Call the Humane Society of Broward County at (954) 989-3977 for more information.
- BSO Hurricane Guide Main Page
- Be aware of approaching storms
- Hurricane supplies
- Installing hurricane shutters
- Should you evacuate?
- Pet and livestock owners - special preparations
- Staying safe during the hurricane
- After the storm has safely passed
- Generator safety
- Price gouging
- Snapshot Damage Assessment Program
- More information
- List of Broward County hurricane shelters
Other helpful information from Broward County:
- To track the storm
- Evacuation and Shelter Information
- A - Z Hurricane Guide
- Be Prepared with BSO's Hurricane Safety Brochure
- Broward County
- Florida Power and Light
For a complete list of Broward County services, please click here to view The Official Broward County Hurricane Preparedness Guide.
Translate This Page: