When traveling by air:
- Call the airline ahead of time to make sure your flight is still scheduled.
- Arrive at the airport at least two hours before your departure time.
- Allow extra time for shuttle and transportation.
- Leave gifts unwrapped for proper inspection.
- Don't pack anything that may be used as a weapon, such as pocketknives, scissors or tools. For a complete list of prohibited items visit the Transportation Security Administration web site at www.tsa.gov.
- New baggage screening equipment may ruin undeveloped camera film, so don't place undeveloped rolls or used disposable cameras in your carry-on luggage. You may ask to have them hand checked.
- Have your boarding pass or ticket confirmation information along with a government-issued photo ID ready to show at all security checks.
- Don't wear clothing and accessories with lots of metal that will set off alarms at checkpoints.
Traveling by land:
- Avoid driver fatigue by getting the proper rest before departing on a long road trip.
- Buckle up. It's the law, and it saves lives.
- Children should be properly restrained in a car seat or booster.
- Check road and weather conditions before you leave.
- Drive defensively. Traffic is heavier during the holidays. Drivers may also have indulged in too much holiday spirits.
- Stay alert. Never drive while impaired by alcohol, illegal drugs, or medication. Appoint a designated driver.
Cruising during the holidays:
- Make sure your passport hasn't expired. Check it well in advance of your departure date.
- When you arrive at the port before reaching the ship you will be asked to show your photo identification and cruise ticket at a security checkpoint.
- Kids Come First
- Killer Bees
- Operation Medicine Cabinet
- Prescription Drug Prevention
- Preventing Accidental Falls
- Recognizing Gang Activity
- Restraining Orders
- Protecting Yourself
- Securing Your Home
- Sexual Assault
- Smoke Alarm Safety
- Street Crime
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Suspicious Packages
- Traveler's Safety
- Staying Safe Main Page
Translate This Page: