“EARLY MORNING BANDIT” STRIKES AGAIN
- PIO Number: 01-11-34 Case Number: several
- Date: Between August 2001 & November 2001
- Time: Between 9 a.m. & 10:15 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: see narrative
- Bank of America
- SunTrust Bank
- Washington Mutual
- Southtrust Bank
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office robbery detectives are releasing several surveillance photos in the hopes of identifying a suspect who robbed at least seven banks in Broward and Palm Beach Counties.
The “early morning bandit”, named by detectives because he strikes between 9 and 10:15 a.m., has changed his look from a hat and dark shades to more business-like attire. In most cases, the unidentified black male approaches a teller and displays a handgun or threatens to blow up the bank with a hand grenade while demanding cash. Detectives believe the suspect is responsible for the following bank robberies:
· Bank of America, 5900 Rock Island Road in Tamarac on August 31st about 9:30am.
· Bank of America, 8200 North University Drive in Tamarac on September 11th at 9am.
· SunTrust Bank, 6260 NW 9 Avenue in Fort Lauderdale September 27th 10:13am.
· Bank of America, 2000 West Glades Road in Boca Raton on November 9th at 9:02am.
· Washington Mutual, 3201 North Federal Highway in Oakland Park on November 15th 9:16am.
· SunTrust Bank, 1890 North University Drive in Coral Springs on November 16th 9:18am.
· Southtrust Bank, 2300 North University Drive in Sunrise on November 27th at 9:18am.
The suspect is about five feet eight inches tall and weighs approximately 200 pounds with a thin mustache and short hair. No vehicle has been seen in any of the robberies. Detectives believe he is possibly parking several blocks away and running to a vehicle.
Anyone with information on this case is urged to call BSO Robbery Det. Bob Kerr at (954) 321-4270 or call Broward Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at (954) 493-TIPS.
MEDIA NOTE: THE SURVEILLANCE PHOTOS ARE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR REPRODUCTION AT BSO’S MEDIA RELATIONS OFFICE. THE PHOTOS ARE ALSO ATTACHED TO THIS NEWS RELEASE ON THE BSO WEBSITE AT www.sheriff.org.
- INVESTIGATORS: Robbery Det. Kerr & Det. Young
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO