FLEEING HIT-AND-RUN DRIVER KILLS BICYCLIST
- BSO Case Number: 90-1302-000206
- PIO Number: 13-2-6
- Date: 2/16/13
- Time: 11:30 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 14600 block of Griffin Road, Southwest Ranches
- Jurisdiction: Southwest Ranches
- Dwight Morrison, 63, male, 8/13/49, 5440 Lancelot Ln., Davie (DECEASED)
- Jose Javier Monserrate-Dural, 28, male, 5/31/84, 6185 Hawkes Bluff Ave., Davie (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
A man fleeing the scene of a crash in Davie struck and killed a bicyclist and continued on a path of reckless driving, sideswiping several vehicles before crashing head-on into an SUV Saturday morning.
Around 11:30 a.m., a man fleeing from a hit-and-run that took place in the city of Davie was heading eastbound on Griffin Road. The suspect, Jose Monserrate-Dural, 28, was passing a vehicle and as he re-entered the right eastbound lane, he struck and killed Dwight Morrison, 63, who was out for bike ride. Monserrate-Dural continued driving eastbound, crossed over the median and into the westbound lanes. The reckless driver sideswiped three vehicles before crashing head-on into a fourth.
Fortunately, none of the motorists involved in minor collisions with the suspect’s vehicle were severely injured. Only one person was transported to Cleveland Clinic for a minor injury.
Davie Fire Rescue transported the suspect to the hospital for treatment of a minor injury. He was released and transported to the BSO Main Jail.
BSO traffic homicide detectives continue their investigation. Charges are pending.
- INVESTIGATORS: Dets. DeJesus, Kelliher, Wiley, Traffic Homicide; SW Ranches; Crime Scene
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepcion/PIO 2/17/13 1000