PHONY PHONE MEN HUNG UP ON CHARGES
- BSO Case Number: DR01-08-5645
- PIO Number: 01-11-05
- Date: Various Dates of 2001
- Time: Various
- Place of Occurrence: South Florida and statewide
- Numerous hotels throughout Florida
- Ivan Rivera Reyes, 03-02-65, 5460 W 13th Ct., Hialeah, FL 33012
- Richard John Rokicki, 04-10-66, 1050 E. Sample Rd., #207, Pompano Beach, FL 33064
Description of Incident:
Two men who impersonated telephone company technicians to steal valuable phone equipment from hotels throughout Florida have been arrested.
Thirty-six year old career criminal Ivan Reyes of Hialeah, and 35-year old Richard Rokicki of Pompano Beach are being held on racketeering and multiple grand theft and burglary charges in lieu of more than a million dollars bond each.
Since February of this year, the pair of crooks stole tens of thousands of dollars worth of
hi-tech telephone equipment from hotels throughout Florida. Wearing AT&T polo shirts, Reyes and Rokicki would find their way to telephone utility rooms in targeted hotels and remove valuable circuit boards.
Through the combined and dogged efforts of Broward Sheriff's Office District 10 detective Jeremy Hansen and with the help of tips to CrimeStoppers, Reyes and Rokicki are behind bars and facing stiff prison sentences.
Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives arrested Rokicki on October 20th and Reyes was taken into custody on November 1st. Both have entered a plea of “not guilty” during arraignment.
Kathy George with the Office of Statewide Prosecution will pursue the case against Reyes and Rokicki.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. J. Hansen/Dist. 10
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf/PIO 11/0201 1500