BICYCLIST KILLED CROSSING DIXIE HIGHWAY
- BSO Case Number: DR13-04-00661
- PIO Number: 13-4-5
- Date: April 5, 2013
- Time: 6:56 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 4800 N. Dixie Hwy., Deerfield Beach
- Jurisdiction: Deerfield Beach
- name withheld, adult male (DECEASED)
- Driver 1: Cynthia Metzger, female, 54, 9/26/58, 191 Del Rio Blvd., Boca Raton
Description of Incident:
A man trying to ride his bicycle across Dixie Highway just before dawn Friday was hit by a car and injured. When the car’s driver stopped, frantically trying to get to the injured cyclist, she saw another car drive over him, she told Broward Sheriff’s Office traffic homicide investigators.
The woman, Cynthia Metzger of Boca Raton, said the second car was dark, possibly black, and that it slowed down before driving away. Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue responded to the scene and transported the cyclist to Broward Health North, where he died about an hour later. Detectives say that it’s possible the driver of the second vehicle didn’t realize he or she was involved. It was dark and raining at the time of the crash. The car may have some damage to it’s lower, front region.
Detectives said Metzger was southbound on North Dixie Highway about 200 feet south of Northeast 48t Street in Deerfield Beach when she hit the cyclist with the right front bumper of her 1999 Chrysler 300. The driver of the second vehicle is urged to call BSO Det. Michael Wiley at (954) 321-4841. To report anonymous tips, call Broward County Crime Stoppers at (954) 493-TIPS (8477) or online at www.browardcrimestoppers.org.
- INVESTIGATORS: THI Dets. Wiley & DeJesus, Lt. Akers; Deerfield Beach, BSFR
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 4/5/13 1620
Posted At: 04/05/2013 04:15 PM
Translate This Page: