Southwest Ranches boat burglar busted
- BSO Case Number: SW12-02-00039
- PIO Number: 12-7-25
- Date: 2/26/2012
- Time: unk.
- Place of Occurrence: 14300 block of SW 47th Court, Southwest Ranches 14300 block of Pedigree Lane, Southwest Ranches
- Jurisdiction: Southwest Ranches
- State of Florida
- Southwest Ranches residents
- Roberto Morales Diaz, 34, 9/11/77, male, 9550 NW 32 Place, Miami
Description of Incident:
Some good old-fashioned police work and a couple of fingerprints resulted in the arrest of a Miami man who stole the engines off two boats parked at their owners’ homes in Southwest Ranches.
On February 27, 2012, the Yamaha “lower unit” was stolen from a 21-foot Cobia (boat) stored at a home on SW 47th Court, resulting in a $7,500 loss. The next day, a Suzuki lower unit was removed from a 24-foot Sea Fox parked at a house on Pedigree Lane, with the amount of that theft estimated at $5,000. Southwest Ranches Deputy Chris Bradley investigated both thefts and dusted the crime scenes for fingerprints. It took until this month, but the prints matched those of a known criminal listed in the AFIS (Automated Fingerprint Identification System) database. The suspect was identified as 34-year-old Roberto Diaz of Miami.
Southwest Ranches deputies accompanied Miami-Dade Police when they arrested Diaz at this Miami home on charges of grand theft, burglary conveyance and burglary of a dwelling. He is being held in the Dade County Jail pending his transfer to Broward.
Authorities in Palm Beach County also suspect that Diaz is responsible for similar boat engine thefts in their area.
- THIS REPORT BY: Dep. C. Bradley, Chief W. Haywood, SWR Jim Leljedal / PIO 7/27/12 1600
Translate This Page: