DAY-CARE OWNER AND DAUGHTER ARRESTED IN NEW YORK
WOMEN FOUND OPERATING ANOTHER DAY-CARE FACILITY
- BSO Case Number: TM12-08-00056 (UPDATE)
- PIO Number: 12-9-17A (12-8-4)
- Date: August 1, 2012
- Time: 4:24 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 7806 N. Colony Cir., Tamarac
- Jurisdiction: Tamarac
- Jordan Coleman, male, age 4, 07/24/08, 2651 N.W. 60 Way, Sunrise (DECEASED)
- Cecily Roberts, 43, female, 418 E. 23 Street, Brooklyn, NY (IN CUSTODY)
- Camille Gordon, 20, female, 418 E. 23 Street, Brooklyn, NY (IN CUSTODY)
- Paris Ward, 19, female, 12/08/92, 18064 S.W. 20 Street, Miramar
Description of Incident:
The owner of 3C’s Day Academy and her daughter were arrested in New York early Friday morning (Sept. 14) following a grand jury indictment on September 12 for their involvement in the death of a 4-year-old boy who was left locked in a sweltering SUV for two-and-a-half hours on August 1. Investigators were shocked to learn they were operating another home day care in that state.
Broward Sheriff’s Office Homicide detectives obtained warrants for the arrest of Cecily Roberts, 43, and Camille Gordon, 20, and the two were arrested by New York Police Department officers just before 7 a.m. Since the death of Jordan Coleman, 4, Roberts and Gordon relocated to New York and were operating the L.R. Academy, which advertised as providing 24-hour care for children from 6-months to 12 years of age.
Another employee of 3C’s Day Academy who was also indicted Wednesday, Paris Ward, 19, turned herself in at the BSO Main Jail Sept. 12 and was released on a $10,000 bond Sept. 13. All three face one count of aggravated manslaughter. Roberts faces an additional charge of felony child care misrepresentation.
Jordan Coleman, who had just turned 4, died August 1 while in the care of Gordon and Ward. Specific details regarding the circumstances surrounding the death are contained in a sealed warrant.
The 3C’s Day Academy, which is located at 2125 N.W. 72 Terr. in Sunrise, has been closed since Jordan’s death. The incident happened at the Versailles apartment complex, 7806 N. Colony Cir. in Tamarac.
***MEDIA NOTE: An exterior photo of the day-care facility in New York is attached to this news release on our website www.sheriff.org.
- INVESTIGATORS: Homicide Dets. Foster, Kogan, Tutler, Sgt. Ellwood; Tamarac FR; Crime Scene; Tamarac
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/Dani Moschella/PIO 9/14/12 1500
Translate This Page: