- Updated: 7/11/01 1:41:04 PM
- BSO Case Number: BS01-07-5409
- PIO Number: 01-7-21
- Date: July 11, 2001
- Time: 12:05 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 1650 NE 47 Street, near Pompano Beach
- Gerald Kilner, 33, 8/16/67, male, Pompano Beach (DECEASED)
- State of Florida
- Bryan Scott Katz, 39, male, 3/4/62, male, Pompano Beach
Description of Incident:
A 39-year-old north Broward man is charged with murdering his roommate after a domestic disturbance turned deadly early today.
The victim, Gerald Kilner, 33, and the suspect, Bryan Katz, 39, shared the house at 1650 N.E. 47th Street near Pompano Beach, along with Kilner’s girlfriend, Christine Garcia, 31, and his 67-year-old mother, Ida Kilner.
Shortly after midnight, Kilner became involved in a violent argument with Garcia. The woman called for help and Katz came out of his bedroom, armed with a .45 caliber handgun. He fired the weapon twice, striking Kilner once in the chest. Paramedics rushed Kilner to North Broward Medical Center where he was declared dead on arrival at 12:44 a.m. The victim’s mother witnessed her son’s fatal shooting.
Katz remained at the scene and was immediately detained by deputies without incident. He was later charged by BSO Homicide detectives with First Degree Murder and was booked at the Broward County Jail, where he is being held without bond.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. T. Duggan, Sgt. J. Carr; Jim Leljedal / PIO
- Photo of Katz - Photo of Katz
Translate This Page: