OUT-OF-CONTROL DRIVER ARRESTED FOR JULY’S TODDLER DEATH
- BSO Case Number: 12-1407-000605
- PIO Number: 14-8-3 (14-7-6)
- Date: July 5, 2014
- Time: 6:42 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 700 block of Northwest 42 Street, Oakland Park
- Jurisdiction: Oakland Park
- Joshua Snyder, 4, male, 3/21/10, 19616 Canal Dr., Sugarloaf Key (DECEASED)
- Estelida Morales, 54, female, 3/24/60, 706 N.W. 42 St., Oakland Park
- Delivrance Delien, 65, male, 5/4/49, 7526 S.W. 7 Ct., North Lauderdale (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office Traffic Homicide detectives have arrested the elderly man who struck and killed a 4-year-old boy in the yard of an Oakland Park home on July 5.
Delivrance Delien was taken into custody on August 7 at the BSO Public Safety Building without incident and will face multiple charges for leaving the scene of an accident with death, injury and property damage.
At approximately 6:30 p.m. on July 5, Delivrance Delien, 65, was visiting a residence in the 700 block of Northwest 42 Street in Oakland Park. When Delien got in his silver Chevrolet Tracker and tried to leave, several witnesses noted his driving was erratic and reckless. Delien struck a vehicle parked in the driveway, which in turn struck Estelida Morales, 54, and her 4-year-old grandson, Joshua, as they stood in front of the residence.
Oakland Park Fire Rescue transported both victims to Broward Health Medical Center, where Joshua was pronounced dead. Morales was admitted with non-life-threatening injuries and has since been released from the hospital.
During the investigation, BSO Traffic Homicide detectives discovered physical evidence on the vehicle and the roadway which revealed Delien was making an attempt to flee the scene when he ran over the victims multiple times. Detectives have categorized the incident as vehicular homicide.
- INVESTIGATORS: Dets. Wiley & Kelliher, THI; OPFR; BSO Crime Scene
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 8/7/14 1400
Posted At: 08/07/2014 01:54 PM
Translate This Page: