BODY IN CANAL IDENTIFIED
- BSO Case Number: BS01-08-7749 (update)
- PIO Number: 01-8-23
- Date: August 16, 2001
- Time: 1541
- Place of Occurrence: Canal, NW corner of State Road 84 & University Drive, near Davie
- Paul Breault, 58, 9/28/42, male, no permanent address (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
The homeless man whose body was found floating in a canal near Davie Thursday afternoon has now been identified.
At 3:41 p.m. Thursday, a passerby called 911 to report that a body was floating in the canal on the north side of State Road 84, just west of University Drive. Davie Police initially responded to the call but quickly determined that the canal was outside their city. BSO deputies and Homicide detectives were then called to the scene to investigate.
The dead man was Paul Breault, a 58-year-old homeless person who held a sign and begged for money from motorists at intersections in the area. The Broward Medical Examiner has determined that the cause of death was drowning, in combination with a heart attack. It is believed that Breault suffered a heart attack and fell into the canal and drowned.
Breault was positively identified and next of kin in his Massachusetts hometown were advised of his death.
- THIS REPORT BY: Det. D. Nicholson, Homicide Jim Leljedal / PIO 8/17/01 1615
- photo of Breault - Breault photo
Translate This Page: