BSO DETECTIVES INVESTIGATE DEATH OF SCUBA DIVER
- BSO Case Number: PB12-05-07783
- PIO Number: 12-5-29
- Date: May 28, 2012
- Time: 8:21 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Approximately three miles south of the Hillsboro Inlet
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- Robyn Spalter, 49, 5/7/63, female, 1310 Taylor St., Hollywood (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office homicide detectives are investigating the death of a SCUBA diver who died Monday morning after being rushed to the hospital during a deep dive a few miles south off the Hillsboro Inlet.
The victim was on a private boat with five other adults. They are members of the Gold Coast SCUBA Divers. The group was exploring the Guy Harvey wreck when one of the divers spotted Robyn Spalter unresponsive near the top deck of the wreck. BSO investigators said Spalter was found approximately 116 feet below the surface.
The crew radioed the U.S. Coast Guard for help at about 8:20 a.m. BSO’s marine unit escorted the private boat to the Hillsboro Inlet. Pompano Beach Fire Rescue was waiting at the Northeast 14 Street boat ramp to transport Spalter to Broward Health North in Deerfield Beach where she died shortly before 9 a.m.
BSO homicide detectives are investigating the dive-related death; however, foul play is not suspected.
- INVESTIGATORS: Homicide Sgt. D. Ellwood, CID; Homicide Det. S. Schroeder, CID; Dep. J. Fahy, Marine Unit
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO May 28, 2012 1430 Pompano Beach
Translate This Page: