TEEN STRUCK BY COUNTY BUS
- BSO Case Number: 11-1305-002445
- PIO Number: 13-5-11
- Date: May 10, 2013
- Time: 9:01 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 1199 E. Sample Road, Pompano Beach
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- Jerry Cunningham, male, age 14, 11/16/98, 4120 N.E. 15th Terr., Pompano Beach (HOSPITALIZED)
- Reinaldo Soto, male, age 55, Margate
Description of Incident:
A 14-year-old boy trying to board a county bus was hit by that bus Friday morning as his frantic mother watched.
Broward Sheriff’s Office Traffic Homicide Investigators are trying to determine how the teen ended up under the bus. The crash happened at 9:01 a.m. in the westbound lanes of East Sample Road. The bus had just stopped at a bus stop on the northeast corner of Sample and Northeast 12 Avenue. The accident happened just west of the intersection.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue transported the boy to Broward Health North, and BSO Air Rescue flew him to Broward Health Medical Center, where he was in critical condition Friday afternoon.
The driver of the bus, 55-year-old Reinaldo Soto, has been placed on administrative leave while the Broward County Department of Transportation conducts its own review of the incident.
Anyone with information about the accident should call BSO’s Traffic Homicide Unit at (954) 321-4840 or report information anonymously at (954) 493-TIPS (8477) or online at www.browardcrimestoppers.org.
- INVESTIGATORS: THI Dets. Kelliher, DeJesus, Lt. Akers; Pompano Beach Fire Rescue
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/ PIO May 10, 2013 1730
Posted At: 05/10/2013 05:34 PM
Translate This Page: