MAN STEPS INTO PATH OF ONCOMING CAR IN OAKLAND PARK
- PIO Number: 14-2-21
- Case Number: 12-1402-00712
- Date: February 16, 2014
- Time: 7:27 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 5300 N. Dixie Hwy., Oakland Park
- Jurisdiction: Oakland Park
- John Hanson, male, 4/15/57, 56, at large (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
A 56-year-old man walked into oncoming traffic on North Dixie Highway in Oakland Park Sunday evening and was hit by a car. Oakland Park Fire Rescue responded and transported to the injured pedestrian, John Hanson of Oakland Park, to Broward Health Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
Just before 7:30 p.m., Hanson was walking eastbound in the northbound lanes of the road when he was hit by a car driven by 23-year-old Jessica Newton of Pompano Beach. Hanson was not in a crosswalk, and it is unclear why he was attempting to cross the road in oncoming traffic.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office Traffic Homicide Unit is investigating the incident. Anyone with information can contact Det. Michael Wiley at (954) 321-4840 or report anonymous tips to Crime Stoppers of Broward County at (954) 493-TIPS (8477) or online at www.browardcrimestoppers.org.
- INVESTIGATORS: THI Det. Wiley, Kelliher, Lt. Akers; Oakland Park Fire Rescue
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 2/17/14 1300
Posted At: 02/17/2014 12:48 PM
Translate This Page: