BSO IDENTIFIES PEDESTRIAN HIT BY BSO PATROL CAR
- BSO Case Number: BS13-06-003634
- PIO Number: 13-6-20a
- Date: June 26, 2013
- Time: 3:09 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 6401 N. Federal Hwy., Fort Lauderdale
- Jurisdiction: Fort Lauderdale
- Helen B. Adams, female, 5/17/67, age 46, 841 Camellia Ct., Plantation (DECEASED)
- BSO Corporal Jeffrey Bates, male, 31
Description of Incident:
A woman was hit by a Broward Sheriff’s Office patrol car early Wednesday morning as she attempted to walk across Federal Highway despite oncoming traffic. She was pronounced dead a short time later at a hospital.
The crash happened at 3:09 a.m. Helen B. Adams and her boyfriend, John Adams, were walking eastbound across Federal Highway. Cpl. Jeffrey Bates was southbound when he collided with Helen Adams. Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue responded, treated her on scene and transported her to Broward Health North hospital, where she was pronounced dead around 3:30 a.m.
BSO’s Traffic Homicide Unit shut down the southbound lanes of North Federal Highway for about three hours while detectives conducted their investigation. There is no crosswalk in the area. The investigation is ongoing.
Corporal Bates, who was hired by BSO in March 2002, is assigned to the Pompano Beach district. Since then, he has had one preventable crash, which involved no injuries and only minor damage to the fender of his patrol vehicle.
- INVESTIGATORS: THI Homicide Det. Morales, Lt. Akers
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/ PIO 6/27/13 1700
Posted At: 06/27/2013 04:58 PM
Translate This Page: