PAIR CAUGHT IN HOLY COPPER CAPER
- BSO Case Number: Various
- PIO Number: 13-10-3
- Date: Sept. 2 – Oct. 2
- Time: 3-6 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Various (dates of incidents and locations, all in Cooper City, listed below)
- Jurisdiction: Cooper City
- 9/2/13 Cooper City Church of God, 9191 Stirling Rd.
- 9/7/13 United Pentecostal Church, 5201 S. Flamingo Rd.
- 9/21/13 Stirling Office Park, 9700 Stirling Rd.
- 9/22-25/13 Potential Church, 12401 Stirling Rd.
- 9/26/13 United Pentecostal Church, 5201 S. Flamingo Rd.
- 10/2/13 Cooper Office Center, 10620 Griffin Rd.
- 10/2/13 Christ the Rock Church, 11000 Stirling Rd.
- Shawn Loschiavo, 28, male, 4/13/85, 5805 SW 119 Ave., Cooper City (IN CUSTODY)
- Tanya Yurke, 30, female, 4/12/83, 5805 SW 119 Ave., Cooper City (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
Perhaps it was a combination of the prayers of churchgoers in Cooper City and the great work by Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives that led to the arrest of a pair of thieves that had been stealing copper wire from church parking lots for the past month around the city.
Around 4 a.m. Wednesday (Oct. 2), BSO detectives, who had been praying for a lead on the unholy thieves, pulled into the parking lot of Christ the Rock at 11000 Stirling Road to conduct surveillance. Though this church had not been a previous target, the parking lots of three other churches and a couple of business centers had been left in the dark since early September by thieves stealing the copper wiring from the light poles. As they pulled into the lot, they noticed a man acting suspiciously. The man noticed the deputies and ran toward an awaiting vehicle. Deputies conducted a traffic stop on that vehicle and found a man, a woman and an answer to their prayers. The pair had hundreds of feet of copper wiring in the back of the car they had just stolen from electrical boxes at the Cooper Office Center at 10620 Griffin Rd.
Shawn Loschiavo, 28, and Tanya Yurke, 30, were taken into custody and admitted to the crimes. Since September 2, the pair stole from at least seven locations in Cooper City, leaving dozens of light poles out of operation.
The pair was selling the metal at scrap yards. They face multiple charges of grand theft.
The investigation is ongoing.
**MEDIA NOTE: The copper wiring found in the suspect’s car will be on display today at 3 p.m. at BSO Cooper City district office at 10580 Stirling Rd. A detective will also be available for sound at that time. Surveillance video of the Sept. 7 theft at United Pentecostal Church is available through our website.
- INVESTIGATORS: Dets. Strachan & Gainey, Dist. 16; Cooper City
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 10/3/13 1300
Posted At: 10/03/2013 12:08 PM
- PIO 13-10-3 PAIR CAUGHT IN HOLY COPPER CAPER - Surveillance Video - Sept. 7 at United Pentecostal Church
Translate This Page: