SHOOTER OPENS FIRE ON NEIGHBORHOOD STREET
ONGOING DISPUTE LEAVES ONE DEAD
- BSO Case Number: BS13-08-01398
- Date: August 11, 2013
- Time: 8:18 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 2020 SW 50 Ave., Ft. Lauderdale
- Jurisdiction: Unincorporated Central Broward
- Alphonse Grier, 23, male, 09/29/89, 2021 SW 50 Ave., Ft. Lauderdale (DECEASED)
- Daniel Medina, 23, male, 03/10/90, at large (HOSPITALIZED, IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
A man opened fire on a central Broward street Sunday night, leaving another man dead.
Around 8:15 p.m. on August 11, Daniel Medina, 23, drove his pickup truck along Southwest 50 Avenue in Broadview Park. He drove past Alphonse Grier, 29, who was in front of his house. Medina turned his vehicle around and drove towards Grier again, this time attempting to run him over. Medina drove 180 feet past Grier and stopped his vehicle. He exited his truck brandishing a handgun and opened fire in the direction of Grier and several others outside. Grier, struck by gunfire, collapsed on the front lawn. He was treated by Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue and transported to Broward Health Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at 9:15 p.m. Sunday. Medina fled the scene immediately after the shooting.
Witnesses were able to give 9-1-1 telecommunicators a good description of the suspect’s vehicle and the first responding Broward Sheriff’s Office deputy spotted the suspect leaving the area. Deputies, along with assistance from Plantation police, conducted a traffic stop on the Medina’s pickup truck in the City of Plantation. He fled on foot and was apprehended by a BSO K-9 unit, hiding in a lake off Wimbledon Lake Drive. Medina was transported to an area hospital for treatment of injuries he sustained while resisting apprehension by the K-9.
According to BSO Homicide Unit detectives, the victim and the suspect had an ongoing dispute. Medina has been charged with first degree murder and the investigation is continuing.
- INVESTIGATORS: D-5, CID, Homicide, Crime Scene, BSFR, Plantation PD, BSO K-9, Sgt. Ellwood, Dets. Forsberg, Curcio
- THIS REPORT BY: Mike Jachles/PIO 08/12/13 1730
Posted At: 08/12/2013 06:07 PM
Translate This Page: