BANK ROBBERY TRIO BROKEN UP
- BSO Case Number: PK01-12-431
- PIO Number: 01-12-22
- Date: December 14, 2001
- Place of Occurrence: 3131 W. Hallandale Beach Blvd., Pembroke Park, FL
- Wachovia Bank, 3131 W. Hallandale Beach Blvd., Pembroke Park, FL
- Kelvin Gibson, 22, 11/23/79, 2329 Scott St., Hollywood (in custody)
- Myron Franklin, 21, 12/16/79, 254 Sheridan St., Hollywood (hospitalized / in custody)
- Chauncey Holmes, 19, 8/29/82, 2359 Farragut St. #7, Hollywood (at large)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office detectives, working with the FBI, Hallandale, and Hollywood police, broke up a trio of bank robbers around 11:00 o’clock the morning of Friday, December 14, 2001, before the three could hit their target.
Many aspects of the morning’s events are still being investigated, but this is what we know so far: Several unmarked Broward Sheriff's Office units were waiting as the robbers pulled their black Monte Carlo into the parking lot of the Wachovia bank at 3131 W. Hallandale Beach Blvd. in Pembroke Park and began preparing for their crime by putting on masks and checking their weapons.
BSO detectives attempted to arrest the crooks before they entered the bank and injured someone or created a hostage situation. The suspects fled in their car, nearly running down BSO detectives who, fearing for their safety, fired at the suspects.
The suspects fled north on Park Road, then east on Pembroke Road, to 9th Way, then south to NW 7th Court where they bailed out of their vehicle and ran to an area near Foster Road and
NW 10th St. in Hallandale.
Two of the suspects, 22-year old Kelvin Gibson and 21-year old Myron Franklin, both of Hollywood, were taken into custody in this area. Franklin, who suffered a gunshot wound to his right hand, was listed in good condition at Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood.
A third suspect, 19-year old Chauncey Holmes of Hollywood, has been identified and is being sought by investigators as of this report.
A year-long multi-agency effort by the BSO and other law enforcement agencies led investigators to believe that the robbers might try to hit the bank at 3131 W. Hallandale Beach Blvd. this morning. That investigation also links the suspects to 10-12 bank robberies in the area over the past year. Charges against the trio are pending.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgts. J. Ulvang, J. Carr Dets. T Duggan, J. Berrena
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf/PIO 12/14/01 5:00pm
Translate This Page: