TWO DEAD, ONE INJURED IN SCISSOR LIFT FALL
- BSO Case Number: 14-03-0168
- PIO Number: 13-3-15
- Date: 3/15/13
- Time: 10:41 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 1801 S.E. 20 St., dockside Terminal 1, Ft. Lauderdale
- Jurisdiction: Port Everglades
- Kenneth Krason, 49, male, 5/25/63, 1161 SW 16 St., Boca Raton (DECEASED)
- Mark Freeman, 51, male, 10/8/61, 1100 NW 43 Ave., Coconut Creek (DECEASED)
- Thomas Fischer, 49, male, Margate (HOSPITALIZED)
Description of Incident:
Two Broward County employees are dead and a third is in critical condition after the scissor lift they were working on toppled to the ground.
The three men, working at Port Everglades in the public works section, were on the lift performing maintenance work to a passenger gangway when the lift fell over, sending the men crashing onto the pavement. The top platform was extended just over 40 feet in the air at the time of the incident.
Broward Sheriff’s Office Communications received the emergency call around 10:40 a.m. and immediately dispatched rescue personnel to the scene. Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue units stationed at the port quickly arrived and transported the surviving victim to Broward Health Medical Center, where he remains in critical condition.
Marc Freeman, 51, and Thomas Fisher, 49, had been on the job for only five days. Kenneth Krason had been a county employee since 1991, working at the port since 1997.
BSO homicide detectives are investigating the incident. The U.S. Coast Guard was notified of the tragedy.
***MEDIA NOTE: The 911 call is available for download through our website www.sheriff.org. In consideration of the victims’ families, we ask for your discretion in the use of any graphic descriptions included in the recording.
- INVESTIGATORS: Dets. Ilarraza, Torres & Foster, CID Homicide; Port Everglades; BSFR
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 3/15/13 1700
Posted At: 03/15/2013 05:05 PM
Translate This Page: