News from BSO

FAMILY DISPLACED AFTER FIRE GUTS WEST PARK KITCHEN

GREASE FIRE CAUSE OF BLAZE

 
Date: March 13, 2014                                                                                PIO # 14-3-17

A West Park family was displaced after a grease fire destroyed their kitchen Thursday evening.


At 6:39 p.m., Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue units were dispatched to 3531 SW 59 Ter., after a neighbor across the street reported the house on fire. On arrival, first-arriving BSFR Engine Company 27 had smoke showing from the front door of the one-story, single-family home. The couple and three children (two girls, ages 8 and 10, one son, 19) were home at the time and escaped uninjured. The wife was heating up a pan of grease on the stove when she added something to the pan and the hot grease flared up, igniting the cabinets and subsequently, the kitchen.


Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze in about 10 minutes. In addition to the kitchen damage, there was significant smoke damage throughout the house. The American Red Cross Disaster Action Team was notified to assist the family with temporary accommodations. The cause of the blaze is accidental, due to cooking.


This report by:
Mike Jachles/PIO
03/13/14 2000
 

Proudly serving Cooper City, Dania Beach, Deerfield Beach, Lauderdale Lakes, Pembroke Park, West Park, Weston, Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, Port Everglades and Unincorporated Broward
Smoke alarms save lives!

Print News Packet

Back to Current News

Translate This Page: