SUSPICIOUS DEATH IS MURDER
Posted At: 01/30/2002 04:41 PM
- BSO Case Number: BS02-01-13244 (UPDATE)
- PIO Number: 02-1-46
- Date: Jan. 30, 2002
- Time: 0703
- Place of Occurrence: 501 NW 33 Terrace, uninc. Ft. Lauderdale
- Johnny Haynes, 68, male, 501 NW 33 Terr., Ft. Lauderdale (DECEASED)
- Joseph Rich, 56, 9/15/45, male, 501 NW 33 Terr., uninc. Ft. Lauderdale
Description of Incident:
After determining that a suspicious death, discovered this morning, was in fact a case of murder BSO Homicide detectives arrested the victim’s roommate in connection with the crime.
At 7:03 a.m. today a BSO deputy on routine patrol was flagged down by a man at 501 NW 33rd Terrace near Fort Lauderdale. The man said his roommate, Johnny Haynes, 68, was not breathing. The deputy entered the house, checked on Haynes and found him to be unresponsive. Paramedics were called to the scene and they pronounced Haynes dead.
BSO Homicide detectives responded to investigate and immediately noticed that the dead man had some visible injuries. His roommates told deputies that he had been involved in a fight Tuesday night. In a preliminary examination of the body, the Broward Medical Examiner noted a large head wound and ruled the death a homicide.
The victim’s roommate, Joseph Rich, 56, told detectives that he and Haynes had both been drinking Tuesday night and got into a fight after quarreling over houselights. Rich admitted striking Haynes over the head with a machete. He was charged with an open count of murder and was booked at the Broward County Jail.
- THIS REPORT BY: Sgt. J. Carr, Det. J. Berrena, Homicide Jim Leljedal / PIO Dep. A. Ortega, Dist. 5 1/30/02 1630
- Joseph Rich - Joseph Rich - Charged With Murder
Translate This Page: