PEDESTRIAN STRUCK AND KILLED BY CAR
- BSO Case Number: NL13-03-00682
- PIO Number: 13-3-9
- Date: March 11, 2013
- Time: 8:45 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 1900 block SW 81 Ave., North Lauderdale
- Jurisdiction: North Lauderdale
- Jose A. Gomez, 74, male, 09/24/38, 2070 SW 81 Ave., North Lauderdale (DECEASED)
- Vien Chi Tran, 27, male, 03/20/85, 1109 Hamptons Blvd., North Lauderdale
Description of Incident:
A North Lauderdale man was struck and killed as he crossed the road Monday evening.
A 2002 Nissan Sentra, operated by 27-year-old Vien Chi Tran, was northbound on Southwest 81 Avenue when a pedestrian, Jose A. Gomez, 74, was struck by the car as he stepped into the street mid-block. Gomez was treated on the scene by North Lauderdale Fire Rescue and was airlifted to Broward Health Medical Center by BSO Air Rescue. He died at the hospital about an hour after the crash.
Broward Sheriff’s Office Traffic Homicide Unit detectives have preliminary determined that Gomez was crossing the street from west to east when he was struck. The pedestrian was not in a crosswalk when he entered the roadway. At this time, there are no charges against the driver. The traffic homicide investigation remains ongoing.
- INVESTIGATORS: THI, D-15, NLFR Lt. Akers, Dets. Kelliher, Miller
- THIS REPORT BY: Mike Jachles/PIO 03/13/13 1100
Posted At: 03/13/2013 11:14 AM
Translate This Page: