‘UTILITY WORKER’ SCAMMER FOILED BY CITY COMMISSIONER TURNS HIMSELF IN
TOM BIMBO FACES BURGLARY CHARGE
- BSO Case Number: 12-1402-002635
- PIO Number: 14-3-19A
- Date: February 24, 2014
- Time: 5 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 3821 N.E. 16 Ave., Oakland Park
- Jurisdiction: Oakland Park
- Shirley Powell Sharkey, age 87, Oakland Park
- Tom Bimbo, male, 49, 5/19/64, 331 S.E. 14 Ave., Pompano Beach (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
A man who donned a reflective safety vest and hard hat to talk his way into his elderly victim’s home in February turned himself in Thursday afternoon at the Broward Sheriff’s Office Oakland Park district office. The Feb. 24 incident was foiled by the victim’s astute neighbor, Oakland Park City Commissioner Tim Lonergan.
The commissioner noticed Bimbo’s shiny, black Mercedes Benz parked in the driveway of his neighbor, 87-year-old Shirley Sharkey. Lonergan watched as two men in reflective safety vests and hard hats got out, which seemed odd to him. He saw one of the men knock Sharkey’s door. She allowed him inside, but Lonergan thought it was unusual that the second man waited and slipped in alone through the open front door.
Lonergan took photographs of the Mercedes and its license tag. Then he went to check on Sharkey. When he walked in, he saw one visitor talking to her near the door to her back yard. His accomplice was just walking out of her bedroom. Sharkey had no idea he was even in the residence. The men said they were there to check for leaks, but Lonergan didn’t recognize them as city workers, and neither wore city identification badges. As he peppered them with questions, they eventually fled in the Mercedes.
For information about avoiding common scams, visit http://www.sheriff.org/about_bso/admin/sheriff/monthly.cfm?nYear=2008&nMonth=4&sspecial=N.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Agusti, Sgt. McGregor, Oakland Park
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/Keyla Concepcion PIO 3/28/14 1130
Posted At: 03/28/2014 11:18 AM
- PIO 14-3-19a - Tom Bimbo - PIO 14-3-19a - Tom Bimbo
Translate This Page: