MAN WHO DIED AFTER ROACH-EATING CONTEST CHOKED
- BSO Case Number: DR12-10-0752
- PIO Number: 12-10-9 (12-11-29)
- Date: Oct. 5, 2012
- Time: 11:39 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 3314 W. Hillsboro Blvd., Deerfield Beach
- Jurisdiction: Deerfield Beach
- Edward Archbold, 32, male, 5/11/80, 714 Executive Center Driver, #23, West Palm Beach (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
The Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office has concluded that the winner of a roach-eating contest died from asphyxia. The death has been ruled an accident.
Edward Archbold, 32, participated in the October 5 contest at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach where the grand prize was a Python.
Several contestants signed up to eat a variety of insects. Shortly after the contest was over, Archbold wasn’t feeling well and began to regurgitate after consuming dozens of roaches and worms. He later collapsed a few stores down from the reptile store. Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue responded to the scene and transported Archbold to Broward Health North, where he was later pronounced dead.
None of the other contestants presented any medical issues after the contest.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Perez, CID Homicide; Crime Scene, BSFR
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 11/26/2012 1700
Posted At: 11/26/2012 04:52 PM
Translate This Page: