DROWNING IN DEERFIELD BEACH
- BSO Case Number: DR13-01-1975
- PIO Number: 13-1-11
- Date: January 13, 2013
- Time: 1:30 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 300 block of Southeast 21 Avenue, Deerfield Beach
- Jurisdiction: Deerfield Beach
- Samuel Campbell, 20, 8/15/92, male, 108 Fletcher St., Jerseyville, IL (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office homicide detectives are investigating the apparent drowning of an Illinois man who went swimming with friends Sunday afternoon in Deerfield Beach.
Samuel Campbell was swimming with a group of 10 to 15 people near lifeguard tower number 6. Detectives said caution signs were up warning swimmers of rip currents. At approximately 1:30 p.m. one of the swimmers yelled for help, and witnesses heard the lifeguard blow the emergency whistle.
The lifeguard swam out and rescued the swimmer who was in distress and brought him to shore. Seeing another swimmer in distress, the lifeguard conducted another ocean rescue. He brought Campbell to shore and started CPR. Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue paramedics arrived in the 300 block of Southeast 21 Avenue and continued the lifesaving efforts.
Paramedics transported Campbell to Broward Health North where he was pronounced dead at 2:22 p.m. The Broward Medical Examiner’s Office will conduct an autopsy to determine the official cause of death.
BSO homicide detectives said Campbell had been living at a nearby residential facility for the past few weeks with the other people in the group, and they would often go swimming in the ocean.
- INVESTIGATORS: Homicide Det. J. Berrena, CID and Homicide Sgt. S. Feeley, CID
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO Deerfield Beach January 14, 2013 1710