SWEETHEART SCAMMER ARRESTED
- BSO Case Number: 10-1404-000618
- PIO Number: 14-4-22
- Date: March 24 - 29, 2014
- Place of Occurrence: Deerfield Beach
- Jurisdiction: Deerfield Beach
- John Deam, 82, male, Deerfield Beach
- Michelle Nicholas, 46, female, 5/27/67, 300 E. Oakland Park Blvd., Wilton Manors
Description of Incident:
A sweetheart con artist swindled an elderly man out of thousands of dollars during a romantic getaway. Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives arrested the seductive scammer who now faces multiple charges.
Michelle Nicholas feigned romantic intentions towards John Deam gaining his affection and then using that goodwill to commit fraud. On March 24, Nicholas and Deam went on a romantic trip to the Keys while the victim’s wife was out of town. Deam has mental limitations due to his age and becomes easily confused. During the three-day trip, the victim bought Nicholas a Rolex watch worth $13,000 and paid for all of their expenses. On their return, Nicholas used the victim’s identity to open a credit card account in the victim’s name with her as an additional card holder. On March 29, Nicholas convinced the victim to buy her a 2006 Lexus for $25,877.
Nicholas is facing charges of grand theft and exploitation of the elderly. She is being held on a $30,000 bond.
Anyone with additional information is asked to contact BSO Detective Mitch Gordon at 954-321-4255 or Broward Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or www.browardcrimestoppers.org.
- INVESTIGATORS: BSO Det. Mitch Gordon, CID
- THIS REPORT BY: Gina Carter/PIO 4/16/14 1500
Posted At: 04/16/2014 02:57 PM
Translate This Page: