PERSON OF INTEREST SOUGHT IN OAKLAND PARK HIT-AND-RUN
- BSO Case Number: OP12-06-1684
- PIO Number: 12-6-18A
- Date: June 14, 2012
- Time: 9:41 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Intersection of Prospect Road and Powerline Road, Oakland Park
- Jurisdiction: Oakland Park
- Gabriel Amaya, 17, male, 11/16/94, 4140 NW 10 Terrace, Oakland Park (DECEASED)
- Christopher Thompson, 37, male, 1/5/75, 4100 NW 16 Ave., Apt. 7, Oakland Park (PERSON OF INTEREST)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office investigators have named a person of interest in the June 14 hit-and-run of a bicyclist in Oakland Park.
Thanks to tips called in to Broward Crime Stoppers, BSO Traffic Homicide detectives would like to speak with Christopher Thompson, 37. They believe Thompson, who drives a 1995 black Chevy Tahoe, could have valuable information about the case.
Gabriel Amaya, 17, was riding his bike from east to west along Prospect Road just before 10 p.m. Thursday, June 14. Amaya was on the crosswalk, crossing over the southbound lanes of Powerline Road when an SUV or pickup struck the front tire, ejecting Amaya from his bike and onto the roadway.
The suspect vehicle travelled a short distance. The driver stopped and got out for a second and then fled the scene.
Oakland Park Fire Rescue transported Amaya to Broward Health Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead.
Detectives are looking for a 1995 to 1999, GMC or Chevrolet, pickup truck or SUV. It will have heavy damage to the left, front headlight, grill and side view mirror.
Anyone who witnessed the incident or has information about Thompson’s whereabouts should contact BSO Traffic Homicide Detective John Grimes at 954-321-4845 or Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or www.browardcrimestoppers.org. A reward of up to $1,000 is available for information leading to an arrest.
***Media Note: A photo of Thompson and a photo of a vehicle similar to his are available on our website www.sheriff.org.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Grimes, THI CID; OPFR; Oakland Park
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO; 6/25/12 1220
Translate This Page: