TABLES TURNED ON ROBBER’S RUSE
DETECTIVES LED TO SUSPECT AFTER HE CALLS 9-1-1
- BSO Case Number: LL13-02-01752, LL13-02-01873
- PIO Number: 13-2-14
- Date: February 24 & 26, 2013
- Time: 11:44 a.m., 9:47 a.m.
- Jurisdiction: Lauderdale Lakes Places of Occurrence: 5103 NW 35 Ct., Lauderdale Lakes 3430 NW 52 Ave., Lauderdale Lakes
- Normand Tremblay, 61, male, 5103 NW 35 Ct., Lauderdale Lakes & Canada
- Suzane Boutin, 61, female, 5103 NW 35 Ct., Lauderdale Lakes & Canada
- Jacques Baillargeon, 66, male, 3430 NW 52 Ave., Lauderdale Lakes & Canada
- Louise Morin, 66, female, 3430 NW 52 Ave., Lauderdale Lakes & Canada
- Nathaniel Lee Smith, 29, male, 03/06/82, 5075 NW 36 St., Lauderdale Lakes (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives have arrested a suspect who committed two recent home invasion robberies in Lauderdale Lakes.
In the first home invasion just before noon Sunday, Normand Tremblay and Suzane Boutin were in their Hawaiian Gardens condo with the door propped open to get fresh air. A black male armed with a handgun and crowbar entered their apartment and ordered the couple to lie face-down on the bed. The gunman rummaged through the apartment stealing jewelry, cash, cell phones and a laptop computer. The couple was not injured and the suspect fled.
In Tuesday morning’s home invasion, Jacques Baillargeon and Louise Morin were relaxing in their condo and, like the previous victims, had their front door propped open. A black male armed with a handgun and crowbar entered their apartment, but in this case, Baillargeon fought back. He surprised the gunman by spraying window cleaner at him and blocked the suspect’s swing of the crowbar, disarming the suspect of the tool. Deterred, the suspect fled the apartment empty-handed. As deputies were working the home invasion, a man called 9-1-1 to report his apartment had been broken into and some of the items taken were a crowbar and skull cap. The would-be victim, identified as Nathaniel Lee Smith, was detained by detectives after he removed marijuana from his pants. Further investigation by BSO robbery detectives confirmed that Smith lied about the items supposedly taken to cover-up for the crowbar and skull cap left behind at Tuesday’s home invasion scene. As he was interviewed by BSO detectives, Smith admitted committing both crimes. He faces a number of charges including kidnapping and armed home invasion and is being held without bond at the BSO Main Jail.
MEDIA NOTE: The 9-1-1 call from Tuesday’s home invasion and the suspect’s 9-1-1 call have been uploaded to
- INVESTIGATORS: CID, Robbery, D-4, Det. Carrasquillo
- THIS REPORT BY: Mike Jachles/PIO 02/27/13 1430
Posted At: 02/27/2013 04:01 PM
Translate This Page: