SHERIFF, MAYORS AND DROWNING PREVENTION TASK FORCE JOIN YMCA FOR WATER SAFETY AWARENESS KICK-OFF
Leaders Focus on Preventing Shallow Water Drownings
SHERIFF, MAYORS AND DROWNING PREVENTION
TASK FORCE TO JOIN YMCA FOR
WATER SAFETY AWARENESS KICK-OFF
Parents and Local Leaders to Focus on Preventing Shallow Water Drownings and Reversing Broward’s Tragic Statistics for Infants & Toddlers
Fort Lauderdale, FL – May 7, 2013 – On JUNE 3 at 10am, the YMCA of Broward County will be joined by Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, local Mayors and the Drowning Prevention Task Force to kickoff a Water Safety Awareness Campaign focused on saving lives this summer. The location will be the Pembroke Pines YMCA Aquatic Center, at 1361 N.W. 129th Ave., Pembroke Pines. Mayors and officials from the cities of Hollywood, Pembroke Pines, Lauderhill, Weston and Broward County, along with the Broward County Swim Central, Broward Sheriff’s Office, Broward Health Department, Children’s Services Council and Drowning Prevention Task Force of Broward will join pre-school kids, community leaders and the Y to raise awareness of drowning prevention efforts this summer.
Free Swimming Lessons Focused on Saving Lives This Summer
Alarming Facts: (Drowning Prevention Task Force statistics)
- Drowning is the leading cause of death for children between the ages of 1-4 in Florida.
- In 2012 there were 9 drowning deaths in Broward County for children ages 4 and under.
fataldrowning there are an estimated 10 -15 near drownings.
- Broward County has 130,000 backyard pools.
- The majority of children who drown in swimming pools were last seen in the home, had been missing from sight for less than 5 minutes, and were in the care of one or both parents at the time of the drowning.
“We can save lives by increasing awareness and offering this program to teach the importance of swim lessons,” said YMCA of Broward County, CEO/President, Sheryl A. Woods.
Swim lessons are available at the following locations this summer:
- Pembroke Pines YMCA Aquatic Center, 1361 N.W. 129th Ave., Pembroke Pines, FL 33028
- Greater Hollywood YMCA, 3161 Taft St., Hollywood, FL 33021
- Weston YMCA Family Center, 20201 Saddle Club Rd., Weston, FL 33327.
About YMCA Broward County
The YMCA of Broward is one of the area’s top 25 nonprofits committed to addressing the most pressing needs of our community. The Y is an association of more than 1,000 employees, which serves over 250,000 Broward residents through 7 Family Centers and nearly 100 afterschool, special needs, youth and senior health outreach sites. In 2012, the Y distributed over $1.4 million of critical programming to families in need. Each day, kids, families and seniors are impacted by the Y when a mentor inspires a child, families make healthier choices and a community comes together for the common good. The YMCA mission is to put Judeo-Christian principles into practice through programs dedicated to building healthy, confident, connected and secure children, adults, families and communities. Visit www.ymcabroward.org for additional information.