TAKE-OUT BURGLAR HITS FIVE SPOTS IN ONE NIGHT
SUSPECTED IN AT LEAST 15 BURGLARIES IN BROWARD
- BSO Case Number: Various
- PIO Number: 12-4-20
- Date: April 17-18, 2012
- Time: 11:30 p.m.-2 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Various
- Jurisdiction: North Lauderdale, Tamarac, Oakland Park
- China Chef Restaurant, 1323 S. State Road 7, North Lauderdale (4/17 11:30 p.m.)
- Pho Hoa Restaurant, 5435 N. State Road 7, Tamarac (4/18 12:16 a.m.)
- New China Restaurant, 3170 W. Commercial Blvd., Tamarac (4/18 1:07 a.m.)
- Island Vibes Restaurant, 3134 W. Commercial Blvd., Tamarac (4/18 2 a.m.)
- Tokyo Japanese Restaurant, 1538 E. Commercial Blvd., Oakland Park (4/18 mid-1:30 a.m.)
- Unidentified male
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies are asking for the public’s help in identifying a busy burglar who has a taste for Asian restaurants. In a span of about three hours April 17-18, he burglarized five restaurants in three cities, and is suspected of committing at least 15 other burglaries in the county.
His crime spree began at around 11:30 p.m. April 17 at the China Chef Restaurant in North Lauderdale. Responding deputies found the front glass of the business shattered. The suspect threw a rock or brick through the glass door, entered the restaurant, took the money from the register and fled the scene.
Half an hour later, a suspect matching the same description, struck at three restaurants in Tamarac. First he burglarized the Pho Hoa Restaurant. Then he moved on to the New China Restaurant and Island Vibes Restaurant, which are located in the same plaza. His final stop was the Tokyo Japanese Restaurant in Oakland Park.
The burglar used the same m.o. in all the burglaries, getting away with money from each location and also taking flat screen TVs from a few of the targets.
Surveillance video from several of the businesses show the suspect is a heavy-set male, who’s wearing a ski mask, gloves, baggy pants, black sneakers and a dark jacket with a light colored, horizontal stripe across the chest and arms. He’s seen carrying a backpack and possibly has a tattoo on his right calf.
Anyone with information about the suspect or these burglaries is asked to contact BSO Detective Alexander Briz at 954-720-2231 or Broward Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or www.browardcrimestoppers.org. A reward of up to $1,000 is available for information leading to an arrest.
**MEDIA NOTE: Good quality video of three burglaries has been uploaded onto www.sheriff.org. The video shows the following locations in order of appearance: Island Vibes, New China and Pho Hoa.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Briz, Tamarac; Crime Scene
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepcion/PIO 4/30/12 1350
Translate This Page: