Frequently Asked Questions
About the Broward Sheriff's Office
- How can I work for BSO?
- What's the difference between a sheriff's office and a police department?
- Where can I get fingerprinted?
- What does BSO do with unclaimed property?
- How do I know if I live in an area served by BSO?
- How do I file a complaint against a BSO employee?
- How can I commend a BSO employee for outstanding service?
- Where can I get assistance if I’ve been a witness to or a victim of a crime?
- What do I do if I have information regarding possible terrorist activity?
- What do I do if I'm sexually assaulted?
- Why do 9-1-1 operators ask so many questions?
- How can I be a good witness?
- How do I report a break-in in progress?
- What's unusual about calling 9-1-1 from a cell phone?
- How can I report crime tips?
Arrest and Jail Information
- How do I send money / care packs to an inmate in a Broward County jail?
- How do I visit someone in jail?
- What's the difference between jail and prison?
- How do I bail or bond someone out of jail?
- How can I get a refund for a cash bond that I’ve posted?
- How do I know if someone has an outstanding warrant for arrest?
Tickets, Reports and Permits
- How do I obtain a copy of an arrest record, a background check, an event report or a call for service report?
- How do I get a restraining order?
- What do I do if I get a ticket?
- My license tag was stolen. Now what?
- How do I get a permit for a concealed handgun?
- What is a charge?
- What is the difference between a criminal case and a civil case?
- What is the difference between a sexual offender and a predator?