The Aviation Unit provides a dual role mission for both law enforcement and medevac missions to the citizens and visitors of Broward County. They operate four American Eurocopter helicopters 24/7 which are based at Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport.
The Unit has the capability of performing many diversified missions including but are not limited to:
- Criminal search and apprehension
- Stolen vehicle recovery with Lojack
- Search and rescue operations in the everglades and offshore
- EMS trauma patient transport
- Deployment and extraction of the SWAT Team
- Aerial crime scene photography
The helicopters are outfitted with: a FLIR system, 30 million candlepower nightsun, moving maps, night vision capabilities and Lojack. The Unit is staffed with: one sergeant-pilot, and seven line pilots, 19 flight medics and three in house mechanics.
The pilots are required to have Commercial/Instrument Rotorcraft-Helicopter License. They are required to satisfactorily complete annual factory recurrency along with FAA Part 135 check-rides.
The annual budget averages $3.3 million.
- Specialized Units Main Page
- Bicycle Patrol
- Bomb Squad
- Canine Unit
- Child Protective Investigations Section
- Contractor Licensing and Fraud Unit
- Crime Scene
- Crime Lab
- Crime Stoppers Unit
- Criminal Investigations Division
- Dive Team
- DUI Unit
- Economic Crime Unit
- Evidence Unit
- Marine Unit
- Metro Broward Drug Task Force
- Motorcycle Unit
- SWAT Team
- Victim Services Unit