A Message from Sheriff Scott Israel
ARE YOU READY FOR HURRICANE SEASON?
An approaching hurricane can often leave people in a last minute frenzy to prepare for the storm. The Broward Sheriff's Office works year round with our local, state and federal partners to ensure the effectiveness of our emergency response during a hurricane. Just as we at BSO plan for unexpected weather emergencies, so should you. As we enter hurricane season, I strongly encourage you to be proactive. Create a disaster supply kit and have an emergency plan in place for you and your family.
When preparing your disaster supply kit, the rule of thumb is "hope for three, plan for seven." Ask yourself what you would need if you couldn't get to a grocery store, pharmacy, bank or gas station for several days. Some items to include are:
- one gallon of water per person per day
- non-perishable food items
- a can opener
- specialty food items for infants, elderly or pets
- blankets and pillows
- rain gear
- comfortable, sturdy shoes
- a seven-day supply of medicines or prescription drugs
- first aid items
- flashlights and an ample supply of batteries
- a battery-operated radio
- a fully-charged cell phone
- cash and credit cards
- a full tank of gas
- a waterproof container filled with important documents.
Emergency and evacuation plans should be discussed in advance. Determine which place in your home would be the safest during a storm, and decide at what point you would move to a shelter. If you have pets, identify in advance which shelters are pet friendly.
When securing your home, here are some important safety reminders:
- Protect windows and glass doors with hurricane shutters.
- If you use plywood, make sure all pieces are properly fastened.
- Bring in all patio furniture, outdoor plants and decorations so they don't become airborne debris.
For more information about hurricane preparedness, please visit http://www.sheriff.org/safety/hurricane/. For additional reference resources, including important phone numbers, please visit http://www.broward.org/Hurricane/Pages/Default.aspx.
While you can always count on the Broward Sheriff's Office during times of emergency, there is plenty you can do to ensure your families and homes are ready for hurricane season. Don't wait for a storm to threaten.
Be safe this hurricane season!
Para leer el mensaje en Espanol seleccione esta opcion
Translate This Page: